What is better than taking a breakfast item that is relatively low in sugar and add a plop of butter and sugar on top? Nothing! I found this French Toast Muffin recipe from Sprinkle Bakes and it looked delicious as is. But I am not a huge muffin fan if there isn’t crumb topping, a cream cheese filling, or loaded with blueberries and chocolate chips. So I decided to make these with a maple syrup buttercream on top, afterall, you do eat french toast with maple syrup.
French Toast Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cupcake pan with papers, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just incorporated. Do not over-mix or batter will deflate!
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 10-15 minutes, (check at 10 minutes). Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Brush tops of muffin with maple syrup when still warm. Allow to cool completely before frosting with the maple syrup buttercream.
Now they are ready for the Maple Syrup Buttercream. I got adapted this recipe from Baking Bites.
Maple Syrup Buttercream
Yield: for 12 cupcakes
- Beat butter on medium speed for two minutes. Slowly add sugar and maple syrup (I may have added more maple syrup than 3 Tbsp for more taste).
- Add milk until desired consistency is met.
I did a rose piping on the tops of the cupcake. Bella Cupcakes has a great tutorial for this. It’s so easy and looks pretty too!
Yummy yum yum…